- About Us
- Public Programs
- Contact Us
Science Education & Outreach
NASA believes that involving students and the public in science-related activities will increase scientific literacy, facilitate technology transfer, and improve science-based problem solving. When students are inspired, they are motivated to learn more and assume more difficult challenges, such as those posed in the study of higher levels of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). To continue challenging these students, educators must be provided with the tools, experiences, and opportunities to further their education. Outside the formal classroom, informal (science) education provides stimulating experiences for learning through media, exhibits, and community-based programming. NASA’s goals are to increase interest in, understanding of, and engagement with, STEM disciplines by individuals of all ages; to establish linkages between informal and formal education; and to stimulate parents and others to support their children's STEM learning endeavors. NASA has a number of education and public outreach initiatives. Some of these involve initiatives taking place in Arizona, and you have the potential to participate through a Space Grant Undergraduate Internship!
Can you imagine yourself working with a faculty or professional mentor…
- Developing public outreach educational materials for the Phoenix Mars mission?
- Creating innovative educational materials for teaching science in elementary and secondary schools?
- Conducting marketing research for a new innovation resulting from a scientific or engineering breakthrough?
- Evaluating attitudes and understanding of science among youth?
- Increasing the use of geospatial technology by ranchers in Sonora and Arizona?
- Developing educational applications to analyze volcanism on Io?
- Enhancing wildfire preparedness through geospatial technology?
- Eradicating invasive species through education and outreach?
- Creating the means to bridge the digital divide in rural America or the Third World?
- Designing robotics curriculum?
- Developing and education program celebrating the 50th anniversary of Kitt Peak?
- Increasing the number of women and minorities choosing science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers?
- Implementing a dark sky monitoring system?